FSX Steam Edition: F-105D Thunderchief Add-On
About This ContentThe Republic F-105 Thunderchief, first flown in 1955 and often known as "Thud" by its pilots, was a rugged and reliable multi-role fighter with an emphasis on low-altitude, high-speed penetration strikes with a single nuclear bomb. At the time of its construction it was the largest fighter in the world and set several world speed records. The F-105D was the definitive variation, featuring an all-weather capability and modern avionics (for the time) with 610 units of this type being built.
In Vietnam, the F-105s were used as bombers, the usual load exceeded by fifty percent the amount carried by a World War II B-17. An extra fuel tank was fitted into the spacious bomb bay while up to 12,000 lbs of bombs were suspended from five hardpoints. Though primarily used as a bomber, the Thunderchief still scored its share of downed Migs, 29 of which felt the bite of the Thud. The F-105D's wing measures 34 feet 11 inches, tip to tip. Length is 64 feet 3 inches and height is 19 feet 8 inches.
Wing area is 385 square feet. With its afterburning J75-P-9V, the F-105D has a maximum speed of 1,390 mph at 50,000 feet. Empty weight is 27,500 pounds, normal weight is 38,034 pounds, gross weight is 52,546 pounds. The built-in armament of the F-105D consists of one 20 mm M61 Vulcan cannon with 1,029 rounds. A great variety of missiles can be suspended from the Thunderchief's hardpoints, the actual distribution being determined by the particular mission at hand.
- Loadouts including clean, Mk.82 bombs, M117 bombs, AGM-45 Shrike missiles, long range and post-mission (empty pylons).
- Animated refuelling probe
- Animated afterburner petals/spoilers which also act as a speed brake
- Drag chute can be toggled on/off
- Animated spoilerons
- Pilot can be toggled on/off
- Animated tail arrestor hook
- Various 2D pop-up panels including refuelling, autopilot, electrics and radio/anti-ice/lighting
- OS: Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or later
- Processor: 2.0 Ghz or higher (single core)
- Memory: 2 MB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher (Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required)
- Sound Card: Direct X 9.0c compatible
- Additional Notes: Broadband internet connection required for multiplayer features